About Mini-Medical School
Mini-Medical School offers health and medicine-related activities aimed toward elementary school children in grades K-5. The program is a fun way to teach young children about taking care of their growing bodies while sharing the importance of preventive medicine. Mini-Medical School includes hands-on, experiential activities that are designed to leave a lasting impression on students, as well as take-home activities, promotional items and “goodie bags.”
Throughout the day, grade school classes will attend a session approximately 45-50 minutes long, wherein students will visit a number of stations to learn about medical practices, discuss safety precautions and preventive medicine, and handle medical equipment. The program brings doctors, medical students, physician assistants, nurses, physical therapists, dentists, and other health professionals into elementary schools to teach students about the importance of preventive medicine.
The primary goals of the program are to:
• Educate children on the importance of preventive medicine and a healthy lifestyle.
• Alleviate children’s fear of doctors and create a better understanding of medical equipment.
• Introduce the children to career opportunities in the health care field.
• Foster positive role models for children.
A Snapshot of the Day:
Depending on the size of your school, grade levels offered and school hours, a typical schedule might look similar to this:
1st session 8:30-9:30am Kindergarten
2nd session 9:40-10:40am 1st and 2nd Grade
Break for lunch
3rd session 12:40-1:40pm 3rd and 4th Grade
4th session 1:50-2:40pm 5th (and 6th grade)
Students will visit different stations where a group of healthcare professionals educate them about a certain topic and conduct a hands-on game or activity. Potential topics include:
• Bone Health: View real x-rays and learn why bones are important, how to protect them and make them strong.
• Medical Instruments: Act like a health professional while using medical instruments like a Stethoscope, Otoscope, Ophthalmoscope, and Reflex Instrument.
• Hygiene/Germs/First Aid: Learn about germs and practice methods of safeguarding yourself and others from spreading them.
• Organs: Discover the functions of the body’s major organs while placing them on a Velcro anatomy apron.
• Nutrition: Learn about MyPlate to find out which foods help you grow healthy and strong, and which foods you should avoid.
• Exercise: Learn about the importance of exercise and have fun participating in a heart-pumping activity!
• Photo booth: Every child can have their picture taken with a doctor’s coat and a stethoscope.
We are looking forward to working with you! If you have any questions, please contact us.